Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Are you a finisher?

Since my counseling session earlier today, I've been thinking about the concept of steadfastness and creating new habits, routine & orderliness.

Synonyms for steadfast are sure, dependable, reliable, constant, unwavering, staunch, steady.

Steadfast literally means fixed in place, but is chiefly used figuratively to indicate undeviating constancy or resolution. Literally, steady is applied to that which is relatively firm in position or continuous in movement or duration: a steady flow; figuratively, it implies sober regularity or persistence.

The three areas that I'm striving for steadfastness in my life are in keeping my kitchen clean and organized, having a daily quiet time, and regularly reading from my reading list.

My ideal is that:
~I will identify times each day that these will actions will take place,
~I will endeavor to follow through with the planned activities, and
~A habit if becoming a finisher will be formed!

I want to become a finisher. Right now I'm an idea girl. I have a million fantastic ideas and scramble to start each one. Before you know it, I've collapsed under the weight of my ideas and I've gotten almost nothing accomplished.

So first I have to identify times for all of these activities.

The first is easy. Doing the dishes and cleaning the counters after dinner just makes sense. My hubby and I have talked about this, and while we're at it, one of us can make lunches at the same time too. But Bill cautioned me to take responsibility for my own habits and not be dependent upon whether my hubby follows through on the plan. I thought this was pretty insightful because I hadn't even mentioned the plan yet, nor the fact that we've had that plan for two weeks and haven't done it once yet!

While keeping it clean is relatively simple, organizing it is not. I have had a bit of a jump start on that though. I took some time over the long weekend to organize some areas of the kitchen and have even more ideas for continuing the organization, but that is going to take some time. I think I can realistically plan to organize one drawer or shelf each day after having done the dishes and the whole kitchen should be done by the end of November! Oi.

Which brings us to reading from my recommended reading list. I had a goal to read one of those books every two months. And since I was half way done one of them, the goal implied that I'd be able to finish it by the end of August. Not even close.

That tells me I need to establish a routine of reading. A daily routine. At least 3 or 4 days of the week I don't have plans lunch plans, so it would be realistic to read during my lunch break. And assuming I'm bringing my lunches to work, I won't have to spend time searching for food!

Lastly, there's my quiet time for prayer and bible study. Oh, how I've striven to get up early for that. I've failed almost every time. Or I'll do it for a day or two and then stop.

It makes a huge difference, though, when I'm able to do it in the morning before I start my day. There's a huge temptation to put it off to the evening, but then I know I'll get caught up in spending time with my hubby (after I do the dishes and make lunches, of course!) and there is only so much time after work!

So here 'goes! I'll get up a half hour early to spend time reading the bible and praying before I start my day.

I think I'll go a step further and make sure I have less to do in the mornings by cleaning up the night before instead of in the morning. It just makes sense to do as much at night to make the mornings easier and less hectic.

Talk about starting the day off right!

No comments: